PREVIOUS CHAPTER - NEXT CHAPTER - HELP - FB - TWITTER - GR VIDEOS - GR FORUMS - GR YOUTUBE
1Ch 1:1-23. ADAM'S LINE TO NOAH.
4-23. Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth--The three sons of this patriarch are enumerated, partly because they were the founders of the new world, and partly because the fulfilment of Noah's prophecy (Ge 9:25-27) could not otherwise appear to have been verified.
12. Casluhim (of whom came the Philistines), and Caphtorim--a better rendering is, "and Casluhim, of whom came the Philistim and Caphtorim." They were brethren, the sons of Casluhim, and at first dwelt together, whence their names are used interchangeably. The Caphtorim are described as inhabiting Azzah, or Gaza, the seat of the Philistines.
14-17. the Jebusite, &c.--At 1Ch 1:14-17 the names are not those of individuals, but of people who all sprang from Canaan; and as several of them became extinct or were amalgamated with their brethren, their national appellations are given instead of the personal names of their ancestors.
17. Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Meshech--or, "Mash"; these were the children of Aram, and grandsons of Shem (Ge 10:23).
19. Peleg--(See on Ge 10:25).
1Ch 1:24-28. SHEM'S LINE TO ABRAHAM.
24-27. Shem, &c.--This comprises a list of ten, inclusive of Abraham.
1Ch 1:29-31. SONS OF ISHMAEL.
29. These are their generations--the heads of his twelve tribes.
The great northern desert of Arabia, including the entire neck, was
colonized by these tribes; and if we can recover, in the modern
geography of this part of the country, Arab tribes bearing the names of
those patriarchs, that is, names corresponding with those preserved in
the original catalogue of Scripture, we obtain at once so many
evidences, not of mere similarity, but of absolute identification
30. Dumah--Dumah and Tema, the great Arab tribes of Beni Teman. Thus this writer [Historical Geography of Arabia] traces the names of all the heads of the twelve tribes of Ishmael as perpetuated in the clans or tribes of the Arabs in the present day.
1Ch 1:32, 33. SONS OF KETURAH.
1Ch 1:34-42. POSTERITY OF ABRAHAM BY ESAU.
36. sons of Eliphaz--the tribe Adites, in the center country
of the Saracens, so called from his mother, Adah
37. Reuel--a powerful branch of the great Aeneze tribe, the