Are you a Christian?
PREVIOUS CHAPTER - NEXT CHAPTER - HELP - FACEBOOK - GR FORUMS - GODRULES ON YOUTUBE
Lu 8:1-3. A GALILEAN CIRCUIT, WITH THE TWELVE AND CERTAIN MINISTERING WOMEN. (In Luke only).
1. went--travelled, made a progress.
2. certain women . . . healed, &c.--on whom He had the
double claim of having brought healing to their bodies and new life to
their souls. Drawn to Him by an attraction more than magnetic, they
accompany Him on this tour as His almoners--ministering unto Him
of their substance. Blessed Saviour! It melts us to see Thee living
upon the love of Thy ransomed people. That they bring Thee their poor
offerings we wonder not. Thou hast sown unto them spiritual things, and
they think it, as well they might, a small thing that Thou shouldst
reap their material things
But dost Thou take it at their hand, and subsist upon it? "Oh, the
depth of the riches"
--of this poverty of His!
3. Joanna, wife of Chuza, Herod's steward--If the steward of
such a godless, cruel, and licentious wretch as Herod Antipas (see on
&c.) differed greatly from himself, his post would be no easy or
enviable one. That he was a disciple of Christ is very improbable,
though he might be favorably disposed towards Him. But what we know
not of him, and may fear he lacked, we are sure his wife possessed.
Healed either of "evil spirits" or of some one of the "infirmities"
here referred to--the ordinary diseases of humanity--she joins in the
Saviour's train of grateful, clinging followers. Of "Susanna," next
mentioned, we know nothing but the name, and that here only. But her
services on this memorable occasion have immortalized her name.
"Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world,
this also that she hath done," in ministering to the Lord of her
substance on His Galilean tour, "shall be spoken of as a memorial of
Lu 8:4-18. PARABLE OF THE SOWER.
16. No man, &c.--(see on Mt 5:15, of which this is nearly a repetition).
17. For nothing, &c.--(See on Lu 12:2).
18. how ye--in
"what ye hear." The one implies the other. The precept is very
Lu 8:19-21. HIS MOTHER AND BRETHREN DESIRE TO SPEAK WITH HIM.
(See on Mt 12:46-50).
Lu 8:22-25. JESUS CROSSING THE LAKE, STILLS THE STORM.
23. filled--literally, "were getting filled," that is, those who sailed; meaning that their ship was so.
Lu 8:26-39. DEMONIAC OF GADARA HEALED.
Lu 8:40-56. JAIRUS' DAUGHTER RAISED AND ISSUE OF BLOOD HEALED.
40. gladly received him, for . . . all waiting for him--The abundant teaching of that day (in Mt 13:1-58; and see Mr 4:36), had only whetted the people's appetite; and disappointed, as would seem, that He had left them in the evening to cross the lake, they remain hanging about the beach, having got a hint, probably through some of His disciples, that He would be back the same evening. Perhaps they witnessed at a distance the sudden calming of the tempest. Here at least they are, watching for His return, and welcoming Him to the shore. The tide of His popularity was now fast rising.
45. Who touched me?--"Askest Thou, Lord, who touched Thee? Rather ask who touched Thee not in such a throng."
46. Somebody hath touched--yes, the multitude "thronged" and pressed Him--"they jostled against Him," but all involuntarily; they were merely carried along; but one, one only--"Somebody TOUCHED" HIM, with the conscious, voluntary, dependent touch of faith, reaching forth its hands expressly to have contact with Him. This and this only Jesus acknowledges and seeks out. Even so, as the Church Father AUGUSTINE long ago said, multitudes still come similarly close to Christ in the means of grace, but all to no purpose, being only sucked into the crowd. The voluntary, living contact of faith is that electric conductor which alone draws virtue out of Him.
47. declared . . . before all--This, though a great trial to the shrinking modesty of the believing woman, was just what Christ wanted in dragging her forth, her public testimony to the facts of her case--both her disease, with her abortive efforts at a cure, and the instantaneous and perfect relief which her touch of the Great Healer had brought her.