Are you a Christian?
PREVIOUS CHAPTER - NEXT CHAPTER - HELP - FACEBOOK - GR FORUMS - GODRULES ON YOUTUBE
Farewell to Galilee (Mt 19:1, 2).
1. And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he
departed from Galilee--This marks a very solemn period in our Lord's
public ministry. So slightly is it touched here, and in the
corresponding passage of Mark
that few readers probably note it as the Redeemer's Farewell to
Galilee, which however it was. See on the sublime statement of
which relates to the same transition stage in the progress of our
2. And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there--Mark says further (Mr 10:1), that "as He was wont, He taught them there." What we now have on the subject of divorce is some of that teaching.
Divorce (Mt 19:3-12).
3. Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?--Two rival schools (as we saw on Mt 5:31) were divided on this question--a delicate one, as DE WETTE pertinently remarks, in the dominions of Herod Antipas.
4. And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female--or better, perhaps, "He that made them made them from the beginning a male and a female."
5. And said, For this cause--to follow out this divine appointment.
7. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8. He saith unto them, Moses--as a civil lawgiver.
9. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except, &c.--See on Mt 5:32.
10. His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry--that is, "In this view of marriage, surely it must prove a snare rather than a blessing, and had better be avoided altogether."
11. But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given--that is, "That the unmarried state is better, is a saying not for everyone, and indeed only for such as it is divinely intended for." But who are these? they would naturally ask; and this our Lord proceeds to tell them in three particulars.
12. For there are some eunuchs which were so born from their mother's
womb--persons constitutionally either incapable of or indisposed to
For the exposition, see on Lu 18:15-17.
For the exposition, see on Lu 18:18-30.