Are you a Christian?
PREVIOUS CHAPTER - NEXT CHAPTER - HELP - FACEBOOK - GR FORUMS - GODRULES ON YOUTUBE
Nu 25:1-18. THE ISRAELITES' WHOREDOM AND IDOLATRY WITH MOAB.
3. Israel joined himself unto Baal-peor--Baal was a general name for "lord," and Peor for a "mount" in Moab. The real name of the idol was Chemosh, and his rites of worship were celebrated by the grossest obscenity. In participating in this festival, then, the Israelites committed the double offense of idolatry and licentiousness.
4. The Lord said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and
hang them up--Israelite criminals, who were capitally punished, were
first stoned or slain, and then gibbeted. The persons ordered here
for execution were the principal delinquents in the Baal-peor
outrage--the subordinate officers, rulers of tens or hundreds.
5. judges of Israel--the seventy elders, who were commanded not only to superintend the execution within their respective jurisdictions, but to inflict the punishment with their own hands. (See on 1Sa 15:33).
6, 7. behold, one of the children of Israel . . . brought . . . a
Midianitish woman--This flagitious act most probably occurred about
the time when the order was given and before its execution.
8. the plague--some sudden and widespread mortality.
11-13. Phinehas . . . hath turned my wrath away--This assurance was a signal mark of honor that the stain of blood, instead of defiling, confirmed him in office and that his posterity should continue as long as the national existence of Israel.
14. Zimri, . . . a prince . . . among the Simeonites--The slaughter of a man of such high rank is mentioned as a proof of the undaunted zeal of Phinehas, for there might be numerous avengers of his blood.
17. Vex the Midianites, and smite them--They seem to have been the most guilty parties. (Compare Nu 22:4; 31:8).
18. they vex you with their wiles--Instead of open war, they plot
insidious ways of accomplishing your ruin by idolatry and corruption.