Are you a Christian?
PREVIOUS CHAPTER - NEXT CHAPTER - HELP - FACEBOOK - GR FORUMS - GODRULES ON YOUTUBE
Ps 136:1-26. The theme is the same as that of Psalm 135. God should be praised for His works of creation and providence, His deliverance and care of His people, and judgments on their enemies, and His goodness to all. The chorus to every verse is in terms of that of Ps 106:1; 118:1-4, and was perhaps used as the Amen by the people, in worship (compare 1Ch 16:36; Ps 105:45).
1-3. The divine titles denote supremacy.
4. alone--excluding all help.
12. Compare similar expressions (Ex 3:20; De 4:34, &c.).
15. overthrew--literally, "shook off," as in Ex 14:27, as a contemptuous rejection of a reptile.
23. remembered us--or, "for us"
24. And hath redeemed us--or, literally, "snatched us"--alluding to the sudden deliverance effected by the overthrow of Babylon.