| || |
LUTHER’S LITTLE INSTRUCTION BOOK -
THE SACRAMENT OF HOLY BAPTISM
PREVIOUS CHAPTER - NEXT CHAPTER - HELP - FB - TWITTER - GR VIDEOS - GR FORUMS - GR YOUTUBE
HOLY BAPTISM, THE SACRAMENT OF HOLY BAPTISM
The Simple Way a Father Should Present it to His Household
- Q. WHAT IS BAPTISM?
- A. Baptism is not just plain water, but it is water contained within God’s command and united with God’s Word.
- Q. What are these words and promises of God?
- A. Our Lord Christ spoke one of them in the last chapter of Mark: “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; but whoever does not believe will be damned.”
- Q. HOW CAN WATER DO SUCH GREAT THINGS?
- A. Water doesn’t make these things happen, of course. It is God’s Word, which is with and in the water. Because, without God’s Word, the water is plain water and not baptism. But with God’s Word it is a Baptism, a grace-filled water of life, a bath of new birth in the Holy Spirit, as St. Paul said to Titus in the third chapter: “Through this bath of rebirth and renewal of the Holy Spirit, which He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ, our Savior, that we, justified by the same grace are made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying.”
- Q. Where is this written?
- A. St. Paul says to the Romans in chapter six: “We are buried with Christ through Baptism into death, so that, in the same way Christ is risen from the dead by the glory of the Father, thus also must we walk in a new life.”
GOTO NEXT CHAPTER - LUTHER'S WORKS INDEX & SEARCH