Are you a Christian?
Online Store:Visit Our Store
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge -
1 SAMUEL 29
<< 1 Samuel 28 - 1 Samuel 30 >> - HELP - FACEBOOK - GR FORUMS - GODRULES ON YOUTUBE
1 David marching with the Philistines,
3 is disallowed by their princes.
6 Achish dismisses him, with commendations of his fidelity.
- the Philistines.
* 1Sa 28:1,2
* 1Sa 4:1 Jos 19:30 1Ki 20:30
* 1Sa 28:4 Jos 19:18 Jud 6:33 1Ki 18:45,46; 21:1,23 2Ki 9:36
* Ho 1:4-11
- the lords.
* :6,7; 5:8-11; 6:4 Jos 13:3
- but David.
* 1Sa 28:1,2
- Is not this David.
These words seem to mark no definite time; and may be
understood thus: "Is not this David, the servant of Saul the
king of Israel, who has been with me for a considerable time?"
- these days.
* 1Sa 27:7
* 1Sa 25:28 Da 6:5 Joh 19:6 Ro 12:17 1Pe 3:16
- Make this fellow.
The princes reasoned wisely, according to the common practice
of mankind; and it was well for David that they were such good
politicians: it was ordered by a gracious Providence that
they refused to let David go with them to this battle, in
which he must have been either an enemy to his country, or
false to his friends and to his trust. Had he fought for the
Philistines, he would have fought against God and his country;
and had he in the battle gone over to the Israelites, he would
have deceived and become a traitor to the hospitable Achish.
God therefore delivered him from such disgrace; and by the
same kind Providence he was sent back to rescue his wives, and
the wives and children of his people, from captivity.
* 1Sa 14:21 1Ch 12:19 Lu 16:8
* 1Sa 18:6,7; 21:11 Pr 27:14
- the Lord.
* 1Sa 20:3; 28:10 De 10:20 Isa 65:16 Jer 12:16
- thou hast.
* Mt 5:16 1Pe 2:12; 3:16
- thy going.
* Nu 27:17 2Sa 3:25 2Ki 19:27 Ps 121:8
- I have not.
- the lords favor, etc. Heb. thou art not good in the eyes of
* Ge 16:6 Jos 22:30 *marg:
- displease. Heb. do not evil in the eyes of the lords.
* Nu 22:34
- But what have.
* 1Sa 12:3; 17:29; 20:8; 26:18
- with. Heb. before. that I may not.
* 1Sa 28:2 2Sa 16:18,19 Ps 34:13,14 Mt 6:13
- as an angel.
* 2Sa 14:17,20; 19:27 Ga 4:14
- the princes.
* 1Sa 30:1,2 Ge 22:14 Ps 37:23,24 1Co 10:13 2Pe 2:9
- And the Philistines. See on ver.
* :1 Jos 19:18 2Sa 4:4
Jezreel, or Esdraelon, was a city of Issachar, afterwards
celebrated as the residence of the kings of Israel,
delightfully situated in the extensive and fertile plain of
the same name, which extends from Scythopolis or Bethshan on
the east to mount Carmel on the west. Eusebius and Jerome
inform us, that it was in their time a place of considerable
consequence, lying between Scythopolis on the east and Legio
on the west; and the latter (on Ho 1.) informs us that it was
pretty near Maximianopolis. The Jerusalem Itinerary places it
ten miles west from Scythopolis; and William of Tyre says it
was called Little Gerinum in his time, and that there was a
fine fountain in it, whose waters fell into the Jordan near
Scythopolis. See ver. 1.
GOTO NEXT CHAPTER - TREASURY OF SCRIPTURE KNOWLEDGE INDEX