Are you a Christian?
Online Store:Visit Our Store
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge -
<< Esther 3 - Esther 5 >> - HELP - FACEBOOK - GR FORUMS - GODRULES ON YOUTUBE
1 The great mourning of Mordecai and the Jews.
4 Esther, understanding it, sends to Mordecai, who shews the
cause, and advises her to undertake the suit.
10 She excusing herself, is threatened by Mordecai.
15 She appointing a fast, undertakes the suit.
- all that.
* Es 3:8-13
* 2Sa 1:11 Job 1:20 Jon 3:4-9 Ac 14:14
- with ashes.
* :3 Jos 7:6 2Sa 13:19 Job 2:8; 42:6 Isa 58:5 Eze 27:30 Da 9:3
* Jon 3:6 Mt 11:21
- and cried.
Mordecai gave every demonstration of the most poignant grief.
Nor did he hide this from the city; and the Greek says that he
uttered these words aloud: [Airetai ethnos maden adikakos,]
"A people is going to be destroyed who have done no evil."
* Ge 27:34 Isa 15:4; 22:4 Eze 21:6; 27:31 Mic 1:8 Zep 1:14
* Re 18:17-19
* Ge 32:28 Ne 1:11 Ps 116:1 Pr 21:1 Ac 7:10; 10:4
- golden sceptre
* Es 4:11; 8:4
- in every province.
* Es 1:1; 3:12
- great mourning.
It cannot reasonably be doubted, that the mournings, fastings,
and weepings of the Jews were attended by constant prayers and
supplications; though all mention of them, and of the glorious
God whom they worshipped, seems to have been studiously
* 1Sa 4:13,14; 11:4 Isa 22:4,12; 37:1-3
* Mt 13:42; 22:13; 25:30
- many lay in sackcloth and ashes. Heb. sackcloth and ashes
were laid under many.
* Isa 58:5 Da 9:3
- chamberlains. Heb. eunuchs.
* Es 1:12 1Sa 8:15 *marg:
* 2Ki 9:32 Isa 56:3 Ac 8:27
- but he received it not.
* Ge 37:35 Ps 77:2 Jer 31:15
- appointed to attend upon her. Heb. set before her.
* Es 1:10,12
- to know.
* Ro 12:15 1Co 12:26 Php 2:4 Heb 4:15
- the king said.
* :3; 7:2; 9:12
- all that had.
* Es 3:2-15
- the copy.
* Es 3:14,15
- to charge.
* Es 2:20 1Ti 6:13,17
- to make supplication.
* Job 9:15 Pr 16:14,15 Ec 10:4 Ac 12:20
* Es 7:3,4; 8:6 Ne 2:3-5 Pr 21:1
* Job 20:5 Am 6:12,13 Lu 6:25 Joh 16:20 Jas 9 4:9
- he stood up.
* Es 3:2 Ps 15:4 Mt 10:28
- he was full.
* Es 3:5 1Ki 21:4 Job 31:31 Ps 27:3 Da 3:13,16-19 Mt 2:16 Ac 7:54
* Ge 43:30,31; 45:1 2Sa 13:22,23 Ps 55:21 Ec 7:9
- called for his friends. Heb. caused his friends to come.
Zeresh. i.e., golden; star of adoration; a stranger in want;
* :10,14; 6:13
- shall come.
Herodotus informs us, that ever since the reign of Deioces,
king of Media, for the security of the king's person, it was
enacted that no one should be admitted into his presence; but
that if any one had business with him, he should transact it
through the medium of his ministers.
- the inner court.
* Es 5:1
- one law.
* Da 2:9
- the king shall.
* Es 5:2; 8:4
- the golden sceptre.
That the kings of Persia carried a golden sceptre, we have the
following proof in Xenophon: [Oti ou tode to xrusoun skaptron
to man basileian diasozon estin, all oi postoi philoi skaptron
basileusin alathestaton kai asphalestaton.] "It is not (said
Cyrus to his son Cambyses) the golden sceptre that saves the
kingdom; but faithful friends are the truest and best sceptre
of the kingdom."
- but I.
* Es 1:19; 2:14 1Pe 3:7
- Think not.
* Pr 24:10-12 Mt 16:24,25 Joh 12:25 Php 2:30 Heb 12:3
- then shall.
* Ge 22:14 Nu 23:22-24 De 32:26,27,36 1Sa 12:22 Isa 54:17
* Jer 30:11; 33:24-26; 46:28 Am 9:8,9 Mt 16:18; 24:22
- enlargement. Heb. respiration.
* Ezr 9:9 Job 9:18
- but thou.
* Es 2:7,15 Jud 14:15-18; 15:6
* Ge 45:4-8 Isa 45:1-5; 49:23 Ac 7:20-25
- for such a time.
* 1Sa 17:29 2Ki 19:3 Ne 6:11
The fact related in this verse was unquestionably the reason
why Esther was raised to regal honors, by the overruling
providence of God: she was therefore bound in gratitude to do
this service for God, else she would not have answered the end
of her elevation: and she need not fear the miscarriage of
the enterprise, for if God designed her for it, he would
surely bear her through and give success. It appeared by the
event that Mordecai spoke prophetically, when he modestly
conjectured that Esther came to the kingdom that she might be
the instrument of the Jews' deliverance. Mordecai thoroughly
believed that it was a cause which one way or other would
certainly be carried, and which, therefore, she might safely
venture upon. Instruments might fail, but God's covenant
cannot. There is a wise design in all the providences of God,
which is unknown to us till it is accomplished; but it will
prove in the issue that all is intended for and center in the
good of those who trust in Him.
- present. Heb. found. fast.
* 2Ch 20:3 Isa 22:12 Joe 1:14,15; 2:12-17 Jon 3:4-9
- eat nor drink.
* Es 5:1 Mt 12:40 Ac 9:9; 27:33
- I also.
* Ge 18:19 Jos 24:15 Ac 10:7
- if I perish.
If I lose my life in the attempt to save my people, I shall
lose it cheerfully. I see it is my duty to make the attempt;
and, come what will, I am resolved to do it.
* Ge 43:14 1Sa 19:5 2Sa 10:12 Lu 9:24 Ac 20:24; 21:13 Ro 16:4
* Php 2:30
- went. Heb. passed.
GOTO NEXT CHAPTER - TREASURY OF SCRIPTURE KNOWLEDGE INDEX