Are you a Christian?
PREVIOUS CHAPTER - NEXT CHAPTER - HELP - FACEBOOK - GR FORUMS - GODRULES ON YOUTUBE
Ps 80:1-19. Shoshannim--"Lilies" (see on Ps 45:1, title). Eduth--Testimony, referring to the topic as a testimony of God to His people (compare Ps 19:7). This Psalm probably relates to the captivity of the ten tribes, as the former to that of Judah. Its complaint is aggravated by the contrast of former prosperity, and the prayer for relief occurs as a refrain through the Psalm.
1, 2. Joseph--for Ephraim
2. Before Ephraim, &c.--These tribes marched next the ark (Nu 2:18-24). The name of Benjamin may be introduced merely in allusion to that fact, and not because that tribe was identified with Israel in the schism (1Ki 12:16-21; compare also Nu 10:24).
4. be angry--(Compare Margin.)
5. bread of tears--still an Eastern figure for affliction.
8-11. brought--or, "plucked up," as by roots, to be replanted.
12. hedges-- (Isa 5:5).
13. The boar--may represent the ravaging Assyrian and
14, 15. visit this vine--favorably (Ps 8:4).
15. And the vineyard--or, "And protect or guard what thy right
16. it--the "vine" or
17. thy hand . . . upon--that is, strengthen
(Ezr 7:6; 8:22).