Treasury of Scripture Knowledge -
<< 1 Samuel 26 - 1 Samuel 28 >> - HELP - FB - TWITTER - GR VIDEOS - GR FORUMS - GR YOUTUBE
1 SAMUEL 27
1 Saul, hearing David to be in Gath, seeks no more for him.
5 David begs Ziklag of Achish.
8 He, invading other countries, persuades Achish he fought
- A.M. 2946. B.C. 1058. An. Ex. Is. 433. And David.
* 1Sa 16:1,13; 23:17; 25:30 Ps 116:11 Pr 13:12 Isa 40:27-31; 51:12
* Mt 14:31 Mr 4:40 2Co 7:5
- I shall.
This was a rash conclusion: God had caused him to be anointed
king of Israel, and promised his accession to the throne, and
had so often interposed in his behalf, that he was authorised
to believe the very reverse.
- perish. Heb. be consumed. there is nothing.
* 1Sa 22:5 Ex 14:12 Nu 14:3 Pr 3:5,6 Isa 30:15,16 La 3:26,27
- into the land.
* :10,11; 21:10-15; 28:1,2; 29:2-11; 30:1-3
This measure of David's, in uniting himself to the enemies of
his God and people, was highly blameable; was calculated to
alienate the affections of the Israelites; and led to
equivocation, if not downright falsehood.
- the six.
* 1Sa 25:13; 30:8
* 1Sa 21:10 1Ki 2:40
- with his two.
* 1Sa 25:3,18-35,42,43; 30:5
- he sought.
* 1Sa 26:21
- some town.
* Ge 46:34 2Co 6:17
Ziklag was at first given to the tribe of Judah, but was
afterwards ceded to that of Simeon; but as it bordered on the
Philistines, if they had ever been expelled, they had retaken
it. Eusebius simply says it was situated in the south of
* 1Sa 30:1,14; 19:5 2Sa 1:1 1Ch 4:30; 12:1,20 Ne 11:28
- the time. Heb. the number of days. a full year. Heb. a
year of days.
* 1Sa 29:3
- A.M. 2948. B.C. 1056. An. Ex. Is. 435. the Geshurites.
* Jos 13:2,13 2Sa 13:37,38; 14:23,32; 15:8 1Ch 2:23
- Gezrites. or, Gerzites.
These people seem to be the Gerrhenians, (2 Mac 24 13:24) whose
chief city, Gerrha, is mentioned by Strabo as lying between
Gaza and Pelusium in Egypt.
- the Amalekites.
* Jos 16:10 Jud 1:29 1Ki 9:15-17
- as thou goest.
* 1Sa 15:7,8; 30:1 Ex 17:14-16
- left neither.
* 1Sa 15:7 Ge 16:7; 25:18 Ex 15:22
- and the camels.
* 1Sa 15:3 De 25:17-19 Jos 6:21
- Whither, etc. or, Did you not make a road. And David.
* 1Sa 21:2 Ge 27:19,20,24 Jos 2:4-6 2Sa 17:20 Ps 119:29,163
* Pr 29:25 Ga 2:11-13 Eph 4:25
David here meant the Geshurites, and Gezrites, and Amalekites,
which people occupied that part of the country which lies to
the south of Judah. But Achish, as was intended, understood
him in a different sense, and believed that he had attacked
his own countrymen. David's answer, therefore, though not an
absolute falsehood, was certainly an equivocation intended to
deceive, and therefore incompatible with that sense of truth
and honor which became him as a prince, and a professor of
true religion. From these, and similar passages, we may
observe the strict impartiality of the Sacred Scriptures.
They present us with the most faithful delineation of human
nature; they exhibit the frailties of kings, priests, and
prophets, with equal truth; and examples of vice and frailty,
as well as of piety and virtue, are held up, that we may guard
against the errors to which the best men are exposed.
- the Jerahmeelites.
* 1Ch 2:9,25
* 1Sa 15:6 Nu 24:21 Jud 1:16; 4:11; 5:24
* 1Sa 22:22 Pr 12:19; 29:25
- utterly to abhor. Heb. to stink.
* 1Sa 13:4 Ge 34:30
GOTO NEXT CHAPTER - TREASURY OF SCRIPTURE KNOWLEDGE INDEX